Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Healthy Challenge

The last few weeks have been a complete whirlwind.  I went to the beach, threw my first ever Naked Fig dinner party, and took on a new nutrition consulting client.  I'm feeling a bit scattered and in need of some stillness and me time.  Don't get me wrong.  The things that are keeping me busy are wonderful things.  I am truly grateful for the opportunities that keep finding me!  It's amazing how that happens when you follow your heart.  But I need to balance it out with time to relax and soak it all in.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that when life gets busy, making healthy choices can be a bit harder.  Healthy routines get sacrificed when time is limited.  I promise myself I'll make it to yoga later or I'll cook all those vegetables tomorrow.  That is why its important to have little ways to make it easier to make healthy choices.  That is where my challenge comes in.  The beauty of this challenge is that it is so easy that you can do it whether you've got a packed schedule or nothing at all to do.

Here it is:

Every time you're at the grocery store, find a produce item you have either never tried or haven't had in years and buy it.  Just pick one item.  I have a tendency to go to the store and get the same fruits and vegetables every time.  But eating a variety of produce provides a more nourishing diet and supplies you with different vitamins.

  I find that when I do this, I get really excited about trying new things and I maintain the mindset of wellness without effort.  And you'll be surprised how many different fruits and vegetables are on the shelves that you haven't noticed when you weren't looking.  In the last month I have had cherimoya (also known as a custard apple), star fruit, persimmons, and pepino melons.  Doing this challenge I realized that I hadn't bought plantains in ages and came up with this delicious recipe for a grain-free plantain porridge.  Or maybe try a fresh herb you rarely think to buy!  This is a great way to get kids excited about eating healthy.  So my challenge for you is simply to try new produce.  It is fun and easy and can really help to maintain healthy habits when life gets hectic.

With joy and gratitude,
Chelsea
http://the-naked-fig.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment